Valitse sivu

Living in Kirkkonummi

The majority of Finns live in owner-occupied homes. There are many real estate agents selling apartments on the Internet, but flats are expensive. Banks grant loans for the purchase of a home if the applicant is able to take care of the mortgage payments. As long as you do not have a permanent job, it may be difficult to obtain a loan. Owner-occupied dwellings also require long-term commitment, which is why rented accommodation may be a better option in some life situations.

Rented accommodation

You can rent an apartment from the municipality, company, organisation or private owner. Almost all of the apartments available can be found on large websites offering rental apartments, such as and

Below you can find links to public landlords operating in Kirkkonummi. You can contact them to apply for a rental apartment.

You can get help for applying for a rental home from the Housing Advisory Services of the municipality of Kirkkonummi or, if you are under the age of 30, from the Kirkkonummi Ohjaamo One-Stop Guidance Centre. The Finnish Youth Housing Association’s (NAL) housing advisor also visits the One-Stop Guidance Centre regularly.

When renting an apartment, always compose a written rental agreement with the landlord. The contract shall be signed by the tenant and the landlord and it shall be drawn up in two copies: one for the tenant and one for the landlord.

An apartment can be rented for a fixed term or until further notice. A fixed-term lease has an end date when the tenant has to move out of the apartment or sign a new lease agreement before the end of the lease period. A lease that is valid until further notice does not have an expiry date, but both the tenant and the landlord can terminate the lease by observing the period of notice stated in the lease agreement.

Housing Advisory Services

Housing Advisory Services help all residents of Kirkkonummi in matters related to housing, looking for an apartment, or rental debt. You can get help from the Housing Advisory Services with matters such as:

  • submitting an application for housing
  • problems caused by a delayed rent payment
  • managing rental debt
  • investigating problems related to the peace and comfort of living
  • evictions
  • financial challenges

You can find the Housing Advisory Services’ contact details here: Housing advisors are also regularly available at the Ohjaamo One-Stop Guidance Centre.

Housing practices

There are a variety of rules and instructions related to housing. Below, you can find links to a few multilingual pages that provide information useful to everyone.

The InfoFinland website contains information on residents’ rights and obligations, fire safety, water damage and electrical safety, energy saving, waste recycling and various housing problems.

The City of Oulu has clear visual instructions on housing practices in Finnish, Somali, Tigrinya, Dari, Arabic and English.

The Finnish Youth Housing Association NAL has prepared a guide in Finnish, English, Arabic and Russian on how to find and rent a home and live in an apartment.

For particularly useful information, visit  and see the section “A small dictionary of housing and social security for newcomers to Finland”. It contains many explanations for words and concepts that may not be that clear. The material is available in Finnish, Arabic, Sorani, Tigrinya and Swahili.

Waste management and recycling in Kirkkonummi

In Finland, waste has to be sorted. The waste facilities of housing companies have containers for biowaste, glass, metal, plastic, paper, cardboard and mixed waste. In addition, electrical equipment, batteries, clothing, construction waste, hazardous waste and garden waste can be taken to collection points in different parts of the municipality. It is important that waste ends up in the right place.

Maps of the waste sorting stations in Kirkkonummi can be found here when you zoom in on the map at Kirkkonummi:

In Finland, bottles can be returned to bottle recycling points in shops. A deposit will be paid for the returned bottles at the checkout when you show the receipt you have received from the reverse vending machine.

Instructions for sorting waste can be found, for example, on the InfoFinland website and on the Helsinki Region Environmental Services’ (HSY) website

In addition to waste management, you can recycle useful items that are no longer needed by you. Waste recycling stations often also have textile collection containers where you can take clean clothes that are not torn or damaged.

Recycling centres and the Kontti collection of the Finnish Red Cross (SPR) also accept clothing and textiles in good condition as well as other items such as furniture, tableware, and household appliances and electronics that are not damaged.

The Martha Association of Kirkkonummi also runs its own recycling centre.

You can also sell your own used goods at the fleamarkets in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area or online.

Financial issues

Housing arrangements affect the costs of living. In addition to rent and possible interest and mortgage payments, compulsory housing costs arise from water supply, electricity, waste management, charges for common expenses and insurance premiums. Failure to pay results in fines, interest on late payments and, in the worst case scenario, the loss of a home.

You may also be eligible for financial support for housing costs. If your income is too small, you can apply for a general housing allowance or a pensioner’s housing allowance.

For more information on housing allowances and the solving of financial problems, visit the infoFinland website.

You can also get advice on financial problems from the following locations:

Supported and sheltered housing

If you need help in coping with ordinary everyday activities for reasons such as high age or a disability, you can apply for different housing support services.

Housing services for persons with disabilities

Supported housing refers to independent living, which involves support visits by social services. The aim is to make it easier for people to live in their own home, engage in activities outside the home and manage their daily life.

Sheltered housing with 24-hour assistance is intended for people who need help at all times. In addition to care, treatment and guidance, 24-hour sheltered housing includes outdoor activities and exercise, meal services, clothing care, washing and cleaning services, as well as other necessary services on a 24-hour basis.

Housing services for the elderly

A variety of housing support services are available for older people, based on the client’s needs. You can find information on housing services for the elderly on the website of the Western Uusimaa Wellbeing Services County or by contacting the Senior Info 029 1512 270, e-mail:

Living in crisis situations

Violence and threat of violence

If a member of your family uses violence against you or other family members, call the emergency number of the Social Services Office at 029 151 6005 on weekdays from 8:00 to 15:00, and, at other times, the Social and Crisis Emergency Services at 029 151 2221.

There are several shelters in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area, where you can go together with children if it is impossible or dangerous to stay at home due to fear, violence or the threat of violence. The shelters provide assistance in handling the situation. The shelters’ services are free of charge.

You can find out more about the shelters at the Social Services Office. You can also call the shelter of Pääkaupungin turvakoti association 24 hours a day at 09 4777 180. You do not need to give your name when you call.

The contact information for women’s Shelter Mona can be found here.

If you are a young person and have problems at home, you can contact the Youth Shelter of the Finnish Red Cross:


If you become homeless, contact the helpline for social work.

If the need for assistance is immediate, for example due to violence, an accident or some other acute reason, contact the Adult Social Work helpline (029 151 6005) from Monday to Friday from 8:00 to 15:00 and, at other times, the Social and Crisis Emergency Services (029 151 2221).

There are several places in Espoo, Helsinki and Vantaa that serve homeless people:

Together with neighbours

Residents’ associations

If possible, it is worthwhile to get to know your neighbours. The easiest way to do this is at the housing company’s events and yard work days, if such are organised. There are residents’ associations in different parts of Kirkkonummi, bringing together residents in the area.  Some residents’ associations are very active and happy to welcome new members.

Below, you can find a list of residents’ associations that operate in Kirkkonummi and have a website.

Disputes and neighbourhood mediation

Coexistence is not always as easy as one would hope. Neighbours do not always follow the house rules. Cultural differences may also cause conflicts between neighbours. Sometimes discrimination and racism take place despite the fact that they are illegal.

If the conflict is not resolved by discussion, you can contact the property manager and tell them about the problem.

The Community Mediation Centre also operates in the Helsinki Metropolitan Area. You can contact the centre to get help in confrontational situations. You can also contact the Kalliola Mediation Office. Mediation is impartial, confidential and free of charge.

If the problems persist or if you experience violence or a threat of violence, contact the police. The police have a national helpline at 0295 419 800 on weekdays 8:00–16:15. In an emergency, call 112.